6.06.2006

Worth your salt

18 full days left now.

Today is a freakout day. I woke up this AM pretty sore from the ride last night. I took a modified long trip up Parmer and back in about 80 minutes. It was pretty hot out and the wind was blowing in my face the whole way back. I averaged about 19.5 out and about 14.8 on the way back. Wind Blows.

Am I prepared for the nutrition part of this?

I've been focused recently on being very disciplined in fueling during the longer bike rides. Last night I finished off a bottle of Endurance Gatorade and a bottle of water in just over an hour. I felt a little dehydrated afterward. Really I felt more drained than dehydrated. I did a little research and it sounded like symptoms of low electrolytes / salt. I'm thinking that I will really need to address salt intake during the bike to make sure I have juice for the half marathon during the race.

Weather forecast for Lubbock, TX today: High 101; Wind 15mph.

Freakout.

I used some of the freebee salts from a goodie bag a few weeks ago during a long brick - Endurolytes maybe? It seemed to work well and I had some kick'n salt lines afterward, but I'm not sure if there is a better brand out there. I think IronBenny (or was it TriDaddy?) used LavaSalts (?) for his IM a few weeks back. Perhaps I should try those out.

Anybody have thoughts on a good salt product?

It's time to get down to brass tacks here. Time to pick up the final items for race day and get them broken in. I've put together a nice shopping list for later this week:

Perpetuum - This stuff tastes like playdough (play-doh!), but seemed to work great during Red Poppy a few weeks ago.

Tri Shorts - I've put some pretty big miles on mine. It's time for a new pair.

Body Glide - Love this stuff. I've been using the free sample from the Half Marathon for about 4 months. Time to get a new supply.

Bento Box - A nice to have. Not sure if I really need this.

Aero Bottle - I'm freakin out that I don't have enough fluid with me on the bike. I'm thinking this might be a good water supply to have.

Lava Salts - For the heat.

Water Bottles - I just need a few new ones.

Shot Blocs - I just can't stomach the Gu's in the heat of the moment. I gotta have something to chew on.

Goggles - Mine are fogging, again. I saw some sweet goggles at the CapTex expo, but I decided to wait. Soon they'll be mine.

Freakout #3 - Lubbock.

I love Lubbock. Yeah, Yeah. Don't hate it because it's beautiful - because it's not. I have some of the best memories there. It is a really great college town. M and I scored a great place for the race. The Marriott Residence Inn. We have a penthouse room with 2 king beds, a pull out couch, and a kitchen. Plenty of room for the the three (and a half) of us plus my Mom. I'm digg'in on the kitchen. I won't have to fish around for something to eat the night before at some restaurant.

The down side - I really don't think Lubbock will have 1) a Bagel shop open at 5 AM for a pre-race power bagel with peanut butter or 2) a coffee shop open that early either. What the heck am I going to do for some pre-race fuel? Oatmeal and hotel room coffee. Freakout.

Side note: That's a great idea for a little business venture. Set up a small cart in front of the transition area before a race - sell all the essentials and the pre race fuel needs: coffee (that's, good coffee), bagels, gatorade, etc. I think I'll name it T-Zero. Ok - I need a investor with some cash. E-mail me.

Carrie has a great post today. She always knows of the coolest places to go in and around Austin. Her Half IM is this weekend. Can't wait to read about the experience.

So, tonight I have a quick trip to the LBS to drop off my ride for a tune up and wash. Then I'm headed over to LTF for a short swim. And finally, if I have the energy, a medium run. But me thinks the run will be moved to tomorrow... there just isn't enough time in the day for all of this.

See ya out there...

1 Comments:

Blogger :) said...

chucksbikes.com has a the profile aero bottle for $6.50 on special right now...

6/06/2006 08:13:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home