3.23.2006

Lap Pool Closed

I read those words at 4:27 AM this morning from a sign conspicuously placed at the steps of the lap pool. There I was standing in my Nike Jammers, bleary eyed, bed head - my goggles dangling from the tip of my right index finger. I slowly closed my eyes, gently rubbed them and re-opened hoping the sign had vanished. Nope.

Crap.

I went back to the locker room to grab a shirt and go ask, "What gives?!". Turns out the chemicals are all jacked up in the lap pool - again. It must be all those folks who pee in the pool. (Thanks, Kahuna). I was invited by the LTF staff to swim in the "Leisure Pool".

Hmm. Let me draw you a picture. There are 2 "lap" lanes in the leisure pool. These lanes start right next to the 3' 6" sign. That's right. My fingertips drag on the bottom of the lane. Flip turn at your own risk - risk of death! Oh, and the lane is about 12M long which means about 2 good strokes before you need to turn around.

There would be no "Leisure Pool" lap swimming today.

I guess it was just too early because I wasn't really that mad about the pool being closed. I was mad about no good coffee shops being open at 5AM. Dammit. Texas is arresting drunks in bars to keep us safe. How about forcing a few coffee shops to stay open so I don't fall asleep on my way to work.

Anyway, I think this whole pool situation is actually a sign from the pool gods. You see, I bought my wetsuit a few weeks back and I have yet to get in any practice yards in it. I did take a wetsuit lap around my living room to show it off to M - but I don't think that counts.

I do believe that I will be making up my swim early Saturday morning in a wetsuit at Barton Springs Pool. It's the right thing to do. Perhaps I could get M and T to meet me for a bite to eat afterward. What's the name of that cool taco place on South Congress?

So anyway, here I sit at work at 5:40 in the morning. Ah, the life of a triathlete.

1 Comments:

Blogger :) said...

You must be speaking of Guero's Taco Bar....mmmmmmm.

http://www.guerostacobar.com/

3/23/2006 09:07:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home