2.17.2006

Mental

I've (finally) started reading the Triathlete's Training Bible. I know, I know. All good multi-sport athletes should have memorized it within weeks of dreaming of their first event. I didn't - sue me. I did, however, read this fine little book on loan from a woman in my office. It got me started. I also read a great deal on the web. BeginnerTriathlete, Runnersweb, Trifuel, and TriNewbie all provided great training information. Folks like Phil, Flatman, Kahuna, Wil, Brett and many more helped me understand "the balance".

Honestly, The Bible scared me a bit - lots of jargon like RPE, HR & LT; scary data tables with times I could only dream of; and more. It's not so bad now. In fact, I'm actually thirsty for this level of data and detail. I think that's the only way for someone to digest this information. You gotta need it first.

I just covered a section on the importance of mental training. I have a level of respect for the longer endurance events (marathons, Half / Full Ironman, shoveling through paperwork at my office). After 4 hours on a bike - you need to be able to center yourself and move forward. I can only imagine the height of the wall at mile-18 of the Ironman Marathon. It seems to me that everything boils down to having a good, positive attitude. People with a generally glass-half-full attitude tend to just do better at everything. I've seen a lot of folks who pretend to be glass-half-empty. But, alas, they aren't. Try as they might to fail, they succeed. (Some quite spectacularly.)

As for me, I think I'm a glass-half-full person. At least, I aspire to be. What's the hardest part of mental training? I use a steady flow of podcasts and music to get through the long runs and rides. Are those luxuries a crutch that come back to bite me? How is mental toughness measured? Hmmm.

Now, those of you remotely familiar with Austin know Leslie. Leslie is our drag-wearing, vagabond, almost-mayor, official keep-austin-weird mascot. He/She is a bit of a local celebrity. The general obscurity (and shock) that follows him/her around tends to, well, frighten most people. I had a particularly shocking experience while eating downtown and observing him/her in a mini-skirt across the street. He/She was bent over shining his/her pumps - business end pointed directly at us. I didn't finish my meal. Anywho, check out this glass-half-full article posted recently on our beloved mascot.

I should also point out that I'm technically not an Austinite. I live just north of the city in the burbs. I'm safely tucked away from the liberal holdout here in central Texas. I enjoy endure a 40 minute commute into the city on a daily basis. Those of you who haven't ventured to Austin yet, please do. I have to say it is a triathlete's paradise. You'll enjoy yourself. I promise.

See ya out there...



Update - I just proofed my post and I'm changing the title to "Mental". I have to be mental to take a reader from Triathlon books to personal philosophy to Leslie to advertising all in one post. Hey, it's Friday and, no, I haven't been drinking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home