2.07.2006

Catching up

The last 14 days have been an absolute whirlwind. I'm having trouble staying completely clear on all the activities, but one thing is for sure - 14 days have gone by and here we are in February already! Only 137 days left till BSLT 70.3.

I've done a lot of training during the last 14 days and found myself a little behind the curve last week trying to catch up. Throw in a trip to Dallas and *boom* yesterday I was laid up sick. It was mostly allergy and related fatigue, but I also contracted a case of pink-eye.

So, off to the doctor I went yesterday morning. I rarely go to the doctor. I found myself fumbling with insurance cards and trying to understand a process so many others seemed to understand as second nature. I even got to fill out new patient paperwork. I also got to go to the local pharmacy to fill a prescription. Apparently, I haven't actually filled a prescription for something like 6 years. The address that the Walgreens pharmacist read back to me was 7 years old - what the?!

Needless to say, I missed work & my short run workout and pushed everything back by a day for the whole week. (Movie Quote: Well, Bob, I wouldn't say I've been 'missing' it." - can you guess the movie?) My schedule for the rest of the week looks a little challenging - but doable. I'm on the road to recovery now. I have drops for my eyes and all that fun stuff. Tonight, I'm going to pick up my short run and possibly a short ride. Tomorrow - swimming and more running.

I'm getting pretty psyched about the Torino Olympics that kick off in just 3 days. I'm an olympic junkie. I'm mean seriously. On average I DVR'ed about 8 hours of Summer Olympic coverage -- PER DAY. I'd say I spent about 3-4 hours -- PER DAY -- surfing the coverage. I have more olympic shirts than 5K/10K/Triathlon t-shirts -- combined. (ok, well maybe not that many.) It was insane. My favorite story - Rulon Gardner.

I think my love for Olympic competition is partly why I love triathlon so much. There is just something about the Olympians' stories that really gets me motivated - years of grueling training, studying every inch of their sport, giving up basically everything to rise to the absolute top. It's wonderful to see a little known athlete get some time in the spotlight, achieving great things. I'll probably completely ignore the figure skating and probably ignore most of the skiing. Instead, I'll be watching biathlon, cross-country skiing, & skeleton - 3 sports I know nothing about - just to catch a glimpse of achievement on the face of someone I've never heard of.

See ya out there...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home