1.29.2006

Salt lines and gear casualties


Whew. Just got back from a loooong run today - just a hair over 13 miles. Awesome weather - it was about 34* when I left and in the mid-60's when I finished. We had some rain (finally) yesterday and it seems to have cleaned everything off.

I had to do my bike workout at the club yesterday. Man - I'm so glad I did. I did 90 minutes on the cycle. The whole thing was automated and even integrated with my HRM! I did 60 minutes of interval training. I started in the mid 120's then the bike told me I needed to get the HR up to 135, then back to the mid 120's, then up to 153. It was great - the bike kept track of all the time and HR. It even changed the resistance level automatically to help me get the HR up to the right level. Awesome. After 60 minutes of intervals I switched to cardio and spent the final 30 minutes at 153 - the bike kept it all in check by changing the resistance automatically to help me keep my HR in the right zone. Very cool. I finished everything out with a 10 minute jog on the treadmill to shake out the legs.

I was soaked by the end of the workout. I'm a salty sweat-er. I had these great looking salt lines on my hat and shirt. You can always tell you had a good workout when there are salt lines involved. Same thing today on the run - I had a great salt line.

About an hour into the run - right at the end of the GYGO podcast - I had a little gear incident. Turns out I found a major design flaw in the Amphipod. If you drop the flask from about 2.5 feet, the plastic top will crack and drain all the fluid you have dragged with you for 6 miles. Yes, that's right - dropping the plastic flask will ruin it. Arg! I was a little worried about dehydration because I only had one more flask with me and I was at the farthest point from the house. No worries - I still finished really strong. But, I need to replace that flask.

So, the long workouts are in the bag for the weekend. Nice. As a nice reward, we're headed to Freebirds for a beer and burrito today. Nice. Next week is a recovery week. Nice.

See ya out there...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home