1.28.2006

Meals of the triathlete

I've been posting a lot lately about calories and food. Blah Blah Blah.

I've been really disciplined lately, my weight is on a downward trend (again) after the holiday, I'm tracking my calorie intake. Good for me. Turns out I've been going at this all wrong. Let's take for example the another part of my triathlete meals - those I dine with. My son eats like a 13th century king. Tonight was "Bar Burger" night at out house. Check out the pictures...





M takes great joy in seeing The King feeding himself. He is in the smashing phase right now. Eating has 3 distinct steps. Let's review:

  1. Everything goes through a thorough smashfest in this phase. M takes great care to cut or tear all food for The King into bite sized chunks. Upon arrival to his tray, The King quickly smashes every single piece - no matter how many times I assure him that the Bar Burger is dead.
  2. All food is then "submitted for approval". In this step the smashed food is moved from the tray to the general vicinity of The King's head. Food may be touched to the nose, ear or eye before it is place in the mouth. Then, in an amazing chemical reaction, the food is either "approved" or "rejected" in a split second. Approved food is quickly chewed and swallowed - often followed by a gallon of water from his goblet. The King removes Rejected food from his mouth by using his tongue. Rejected food lays on his bib and shirt like warriors on a 13th century battlefield. In fact, the whole tray-bib-head area reminds me of a scene from Braveheart.
  3. Reload - need I say more. The spoon is also used at various times through the feeding process -- as a catapult. Reload.



After dinner we quickly proceed to "decontamination". This involves the removal of clothing and a complete wipedown. Tonight, T resembled a character from Mark Twain's Tom Sawyer after decontamination. But, he was full and happy. Mission Accomplished.



So, what can a triathlete learn from a nightly audience with The King? Um. Well, I don't know. It doesn't appear the he is too worried about calories or discipline. So, I guess just have fun.

See ya out there...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home