6.10.2006

Race Sim

I woke up early this morning. 4:30 AM. For whatever reason I was nervous - butterflies in the rib cage nervous. For a training day? This was anything but a regular training day - this was race simulation day. I had gone through all the pre-race prep yesterday. Good eating, lots of water, all my shtuff in a big pile on the kitchen counter.

Goggles - Check; Endurance Gatorade - Check; Perpetuum - Check; Clif bar - Dang! / substitute with Marathon bar; Endurolytes - Check; Helmet, Gloves, Shoes, Computer, Sunglasses - Check; Sunscreen - Check;Running shoes & Socks - Check; Enervite, Shot Bloks - Check; Water - Check; Running Hat - Check; HRM - Check; Tri-shorts, Singlet - Check; Ok.

Whew. I hadn't even left yet. But, I was psyched.

I left for the pool around 6:40. I opted for a swim at our neighborhood pool. It was locked up when I arrived. What the?!? Luckily I found the keys laying nearby and let myself in. Pretty secure, eh? By 6:45, I was swimming. It was a fantastic swim. A great start. I transitioned well and headed out for a stort loop around my 'hood making a quick stop at the house to drop off my swim gear. No need to take goggles with me for 40+ miles, right? Then I left for the long loop through Georgetown. A good ride. I focused on keeping good form and rigidly following the nutrition plan. (Salt every hour, Perpetuum every 15 minutes, gatorade as needed) I arrived home in 90* heat. I felt great. Running in good form, I quickly clicked off 2 miles and rounded the corner to my water stop in the driveway. My only concern at this point was my sky high HR. I kept running slower and slower trying to bring it back into the 150's - it never really got there. I finished out 4.25 miles with an average HR in the mid 160's with an 11+ pace. Ouch.

Here's the recap:
Swim - 2500 yds / 45h:42m
Bike - 42.5mi / 2h:23m (Check out the Bikely.com route - review of this tool to follow...)
Run - 4.25mi / 50m:32s

Very good workout. No piriformis pain, good form, good nutrition. This workout really helped me build confidence for BSLT. Now the real taper begins. Two weeks of easy training. 14 days left ... and is a break in the heat possible (LBB 6/21 - 96*)??

See ya out there...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It helped that your son was cheering you on "Go, go, go daddy" and clapping, your #1 Fan!!
-M

6/12/2006 11:58:00 AM  
Blogger greyhound said...

Could it be any hotter. The Hill Country was brutal this weekend.

I think I'm going to chuck my HR monitor for the race. (Heresy) My HR always climbs in the heat, and as long as I feel right, then I'm right, . . . right?

6/12/2006 03:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home