5.04.2006

The Long Way

I had a race with Mother Nature tonight. You see, it's May and she's all about cooking up storms during prime training hours. She seems to have figured out that if she starts rolling the storms in from far West Texas they are good and cooked by the time they arrive here.

I left out for a 1h:45m mile run about 7 PM. I watched the sun set across the "lake" at Brushy Creek Park. By the time I cleared the park I saw it - a quick flash in the corner of my eye. Either my papparazi were at it again or the storms were arriving. I was at least 5 miles from home. A long, hilly 5 miles.

How the heck did those come up so quickly? Whatever. Let's throw down Mama Nature. Bring it.

First there was wind. No Problem. The lightning started to get closer. Thunder. Sprinkles. 4 miles out. More Thunder. Flash. Flash. 3 miles out. Flash. Thunder.

Will I make it before she gets really pissed?

2 miles out. No problem. I got this. FLASH. The street lights went out. No. It wasn't a power outage - the bright flash caused the lights to automatically turn off. Ok. This is starting to get nuts.

Still no strikes on the ground. I'm close enough to book it to the house now if I need to.

The watch says I still have 20 minutes of running to go.

I can do this. Flash. I made the turn for the long loop around the neighborhood that would give me 2 more miles and result in 10 miles for the evening.

1 mile left. Constant lightning now.

Beep! 1h:45m.

Till next time Mama Nature. 20 minutes later the skies opened and it poured.

See ya out there...

2 Comments:

Blogger :) said...

Be careful out there dude! A friend of mine's father was struck by lightening last year...

5/05/2006 11:06:00 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Awesome! I'm glad to see someone bested mother nature. She always seems to get the best of me! :(

5/06/2006 04:06:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home