5.04.2006

In the thick of it

25 minutes into my 1h:25m run Tuesday night I checked in with the HRM. 131. 131?!?! Holy Smokes! How the heck did my heart rate get so low? My goal was to keep it at 140 and below 145 the entire time. I haven't run in the "slow" gear for a long while -- since the 1/2 marathon training during the winter. Turns out my slow gear is getting much easier. But, I guess that's what is supposed to be happening. According to everything I read, long slow running should result in a lower heart rate. It is working.

It's strange how I can train everyday and be surprised by improvement. I mean, I'm out here 6 days a week - I should be seeing improvement. I'm measuring progress and seeing improvement. But, for whatever reason Tuesday night really caught me off guard. My macho manliness immediately thought "Pick up the pace, Nancy". After training in the 150s - 160s for a few months I've had to make an effort to remind myself : "The Half isn't going to be about speed. It's about lasting the distance."

Last the distance.

It would have been easy (and fun) to blow out the last 4 miles. Instead, I focused on form and hitting a stride that I could hold forever.

===

I'm starting to feel the effects of the increased training volume. I can't seem to eat or sleep enough. It would be so great if my work would enact a mandatory nap time around 2:30 every afternoon. T has one of those at his school. What gives? Oh yeah, and snack time. I'd love a plate of grapes and crackers around 10:30ish. Yeah. That'd be great.

Another side effect: Guilt. Yeah, guilt. I can't seem to escape it. I mean, if I miss a workout I feel guilty and if I spend 4 hours out riding I feel guilty for being away from home for so long.

**SIGH**

It feels like the countdown to Christmas. BSLT is now visible on my calendar and training schedule. I spend at least 20 minutes a day obsessing over the number of training sessions left. Do I have enough long workouts? Will I be recovered enough for the CapTexTri? How many more runs can I get in before it is a hundred billion-gillion degrees outside and my shoes melt? Will Santa bring me those new tri-shorts?

Ok. How's that for a nice rambling post? Enjoy and...

See ya out there...

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Measurable progress is always a great thing! Nice job. :)

5/04/2006 08:23:00 AM  
Blogger TriDaddy said...

Awesome HR, I'd say. Amazing job on the weight loss too!

5/04/2006 10:05:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home