4.18.2006

....and we're back!

Howdy folks!

After a long posting break I am back.

Let me fill you in: We have just returned from a trip to Colorado to surprise my Mom for her birthday. She's an occasional reader (Hi Mom!) so, I couldn't give any hints. Just a few days of silence while we carried out our little adventure.

Check it out:


Colorado was amazing. Amazing! It was so beautiful here. I saw a TON of people running and cycling all over town. I could never move to Colorado because my wife and kid would never see me again. I would train, eat and sleep. And, maybe work.

I went for a run on Saturday afternoon in Colorado Springs. It was amazing. I decided to take a really hilly course up through my folks' neighborhood and out onto some of the streets close by. It was crazy windy out. Between the hills, altitude and wind I was pretty worn out after about an hour. How great is that?! I headed due east for the first half of the journey with the wind at my back climbing hills the whole way. About 20 minutes in I turned around and was greeted by a face full of wind and this:


It was amazing.

We headed back to Austin and were promptly greeted by 100* temps. Yes, that's right 100* in April. Did everyone enjoy spring? Good. Now it's summer. Shut up and enjoy. I gave the early heat wave the 'ol finger by heading out shortly after we got home for a quick 45 minute ride down Parmer. Hot and Steamy. Just the way I like it.

I did lots of thinking during the ride. I have a lot of work to do in my last month leading up to the race. I need to get on top of the nutrition plan soon. Real soon. Party Pat came by last night and we signed up to do the Red Poppy Ride on April 29th. It should be a good test bed for a potential bike nutrition strategy.

My schedule has been wild again. Last week training pretty much fell down hard as I ran around to get everything ready for our big trip. This week is a recovery week (even though I probably don't need it after last weeks' time) and I've already missed out on a run because of a late afternoon thunderstorm. Arg. Back to it hard core tomorrow.

And Finally...

I pretty much always listen to the Jeff Ward show on the way home from work. It's somewhat entertaining and pretty informative. Anyway, today he and the mayor we're talking about the recent rolling blackouts in town. At the end of the interview, Jeff mentioned that he had heard the mayor was training for his first Triathlon...the Capital of Texas Triathlon! Then he mentioned that he was training for it too! How great is this? Drive time radio coverage of the biggest triathlon in Austin!

It was pretty cool to listen to them talk about their first time experiences, water fears, and the wonder of their first sprint tri. Very Cool!

See ya out there...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home