12.31.2005

Saturday Run

I planned to be up early today for another bike/run brick. When I hopped out of bed around 5:30 (yes - AM - on a Saturday), I noticed the house was a little chilly. It was a little strange given that we have had near 80* weather all week. I popped in on weather.com and noticed it was 32*. 32*!! Now normally the local news stations would be on all out 24/7 coverage of the 2005 Deep Freeze event. But, I guess this one slipped through.

Well, I am still a little behind the power curve when it comes to cold weather cycling gear. Or, I should say, I have no cold weather cycling gear. The thought of cutting through 32* air at nearly 20mph didn't really sound to fun, so I geared up for the long run instead.

Today was a new time & distance record for me - these are falling like rain in California lately. Today ended up being just under 10 miles / 1h:40m. I'm really battling boredom now. I try to spend time thinking about BSLT (BSLT 70.3 - The first Half IM - Brought to me by my Official Sponsor, "M".), but even that can only hold my attention for so long. I need some distraction. I loaded up the MP3 player with a couple of podcasts (Zentri & Endurance Radio) and a bunch of AC/DC (Special thanks to Amers - she gave me the CD for Christmas. Wait, does that make you a sponsor?). Brett got me through the first half perfectly. I ran by some guy picking up his newspaper while I was laughing out loud - Brett to his son : "You look like a peanut butter and jelly bomb!". Thanks dude. I couldn't get the AC/DC tracks to play on my MP3 player - what up with that?? I'm getting ready to upgrade the tuneage - I'm just about ready to buy a Creative MuVo TX 1Gb. Right now I'm out running the 64Mb version I have now. Maybe M will want it for her visits to the club.

Today I also wore one of my new Christmas gifts! Robert and Kathy got me the 2-bottle Amphipod. This thing worked great (Thanks Robert & Kathy!!!! - wait does that make you guys sponsors too?) I totally forgot I was wearing it until mile 4. I was worried about the extra weight on my back but the whole thing rests on my hips and doesn't even move! I'm sure I'll be wearing this on just about every long run from here on out. I can totally see going through 2 flasks of Endurance Gatorade during some of those h-o-t runs during the summer. Maybe I should fill them with some JD for the cold winter runs? :-)

Anyway - This was a good strong run today. I was glad to have the gear along. It was well used. Tomorrow - Long ride!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home