12.30.2005

Return to regularly scheduled life

I just finished 2300M in the pool and I feel great. It's starting to get a little more active at the lap pool. This morning I swear I could sense all the triathletes waking from their winter slumber. January training plans begin soon. I'm headed back for my first full day of work since the holiday. It also happens to be my last full day of the year.

Yesterday was pretty strange. My office is highly "multi-cultural", which I happen to think makes for some pretty interesting workdays. Between the cultural differences, verbal and written communications hurdles, and personality differences we all manage to do pretty well together.

However, I find myself in somewhat of a minority around Christmastime each year because most of my cohorts are from foreign countries and do not celebrate Christmas. The week leading up to Christmas is always interesting because as most of us peel off for some vacation time we start asking everyone - "What are you doing for the, uh, er, holiday?" Most of my office companions use the holiday itself to travel because the airports tend to be mostly empty.

Then, there are the those folks who wouldn't appear to celebrate Christmas, but will openly wish you "Merry Christmas!" -- "Well, Merry, uh, er, Christ -- Happy Hol-i-day -- Thanks!" - Crap, do they celebrate Christmas, or were they just being nice?

This pre-Christmas week awkwardness is easy compared to the return to work. Yesterday.

I strode in all refreshed and full of post-holiday glow.

"Mornin' 'Bob', how was your, er, uh -- did you do anything over the weekend?" - Geez, did that sound as strange as it felt?

"Hey, how's it goin? Did you have a good Ch--, did you take some time off this week?" - Oh man, can I be any more strained?

Oh well, the New Year is upon us. Everyone has to celebrate that - it's a matter of physics. You know - "The space time continuum" and all that? Right? Oh geez.

1 Comments:

Blogger Robert said...

I finally said the heck with PC and started wishing everyone Merry Christmas. Afterall, that is what the "Holiday" is for in the first place.

Robert

12/31/2005 10:58:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home