8.09.2006

Caution : Cosmic Event Ahead

Life can be really crazy at times.

Have you ever noticed how big events seem to gather mass over time? They always start out as one moderately big event gently noted on the calendar. As the day approaches, it seems to get bigger and bigger on the horizon. As the size of the event grows, so does its' gravity. Seemingly pulling other moderately big events into it's path until - Ohmygosh -- LOOK OUT! We have a major event dead in our path!

My "event" this week was marked on the calendar about 2 weeks ago -- and it is a big one from the get-go requiring lots of planning, meetings, and such. For M and T, last week marked the end of the summer break. This means T returned to daycare school and M returned to work. Gravity was already at work. Tuesday, T stayed home sick. M had to take a sick day to cover him after just one day back at work. I was completely snowed under with meetings and couldn't help out. (Sorry, M!!)

Today is the calm before the storm. Nothing major today. The horizon, however, is completely full.

Thursday and Friday we have no less than 6 big items on our collective To Do lists including - 2 big work things for M, 2 big work things for me, a school party for T (to which we must provide goodies), a parent teacher night at T's school, and at least 2 social gatherings. This will no doubt leave us completely wrecked for the weekend.

In the background, my training plan is gently calling my name - reminding me of the importance to shift priorities and keep balanced. I had no motivation last night for training. Last week left me wrecked in every sense. After T went to bed, I wanted to sit on the couch and block out the world. I stumbled across this month's Triathlete magazine while on my way (*back!!*) to the kitchen. I swiped it up and started flipping through. (BTW, Austin was named the 7th best Triathlon City in the US!!) Within 10 minutes I was filling bottles and gathering gear to head out for a 1 hour bike/run brick.

I can't report that the workout was good from a technical perspective. But, I think it was a good mental victory in the face of a very slippery slope that leads down to my couch. It felt great to put all of the stress and gravity in its' place for a while and regain some focus that you just can't get while staring into the TV.

I slept great for the first time in a long while last night. I'm ready for the next few days now. Bring. It. On.

See ya out there...

3 Comments:

Blogger :) said...

You'll be back to normal in no time flat. I am dealing with the same things with my son starting first grade next week and my classes starting back up at the end of august... Schedules will be hectic, but you kind of get used to it after a while. Just get that training in...it's the only thing that keeps me sane sometimes!!!

8/09/2006 08:10:00 AM  
Blogger TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

It's amazing that even a little exercise can put everything right back in perspective. I think the world could be crashing down and I'd still run to feel better. Hang in there!!

8/09/2006 03:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can see that you are working so hard at being a good father, husband and true to yourself. Hang in there!!
Love, MOM

8/09/2006 06:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home