1.14.2006

Today I'm a runner

Hey everyone -

Today I'm at Cafe a la TTUTri - my kitchen. I just made breakfast #2 and flipped on the Texas Tech v Iowa State basketball game. I ran for 1h:45m earlier this morning and managed to cover just over 10.5 miles. It was a great run.

I loaded up the MP3 player with AC/DC, The Beach Boys, and 2 interviews with Triathlon icons Dave Scott & Peter Reid. I know - you're asking "The Beach Boys?" I dunno either. For some reason I figured "Good Vibrations" or "Fun, Fun, Fun" would get me pumped. Just for the record - The Beach Boys have a moderate pump-up factor. However, I'm starting to think my unofficial theme song this season will be Highway to Hell by AC/DC.

Living easy, living free
Season ticket on a one-way ride
Asking nothing, leave me be
Taking everything in my stride
Don't need reason, don't need rhyme
Ain't nothing I would rather do
Going down, party time
My friends are gonna be there too

I'm on the highway to hell

No stop signs, speed limit
Nobody's gonna slow me down
Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Nobody's gonna mess me round
Hey Satan, payin' my dues
Playing in a rocking band
Hey Momma, look at me
I'm on my way to the promised land

I'm on the highway to hell
(Don't stop me)

And I'm going down, all the way down
I'm on the highway to hell


For the record, this song has an extreme pump-up factor.

The weather was great. Pretty cool morning when I started out - about 31*. I wore some cotton gloves and one of those ear warmer bands. I also wore a fully stocked Amphipod with some water, Endurance Gatorade, Clif Shot Bloks and my cell phone. Finally, I strapped on the HRM and off I went. Whew.

I had a MacGyver moment on the trail. Around 5 miles or so, the sun had been up long enough that the temperature had risen to (what felt like) the mid 40's. Time to strip off some clothes. I'll have to remember to load some Motley Crue on the MP3 player next time - Then I'll have some stripping music!

First to go - the gloves. I couldn't figure out what to do with them so I stuffed them in my sleeves right at my wrists - and totally forgot about them. The ear band slipped nicely under the Amphipod belt. Suddenly I had transformed from a cold weather runner to a cool weather runner. I did all this without missing a single step. Well, needless to say I was pretty proud of myself. Then, I made a canoe from chewing gum and paper cups! OK - not really.

BTW - I responded really well to the Clif Shot Blok. I just can't get all those Gu type products down the hatch. For whatever reason these went down without a hitch. I didn't have the rush of energy like the Honey Stinger products, but turns out I didn't need it. I felt strong the whole way today. Give these a shot - pun intended.

Overall, this was a really strong run for me today. I was happy to rebound to such a great high after the mid-week breakdown. Tomorrow I'm off for a long bike ride. Should be fun.

I just remembered that the Cafe a la TTUTri has no waitstaff or busboys. Well, it does - but those people are me. So, I'm off to clean up to be ready for the lunch rush.

See ya out there...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home