1.13.2006

Planning

Howdy, from the LTF Cafe. I just finished a 30m spin session and 2800M swim. I feel great.

Like any good project manager I'm constantly planning. The beginning of a new year seems to always require lots of planning exercises. Something about the roll-over of the year counter seems to trigger the need for people who don't plan to suddenly need to plan. I don't know why.

Right now we are planning fools at work. Actually, we are always planning fools. We constantly spend our days thinking about what will happen next week/month/year. Upper management has been really busy asking planning questions, which makes us sit down to demonstrate what it actually means to plan. They appear to have no idea. Whatever.

As you've seen in my other posts my triathlon race season is already 80% planned. Training has been planned for a while and I'm already measuring results and exercising corrective actions - so I don't get hurt or die. :-)

It's interesting how often I use some of the principles of project management in triathlon. There are so many things to manage!
  • Budget - Need I say more? Unfortunately, I have not made my first million (yet) or won the lottery. So, to keep from going broke, expenses have to be planned, prioritized, and tracked.
  • Time - I submitted a change request to God for an extra 2 hours a day. He is still doing an impact analysis. (A small PM joke for those of you who get it.) Living as a triathlete pushes the balance of time management to the very limits. Time has to be constantly planned and managed.
  • Communications - M has to be aware of my training & work schedule. We have to coordinate coverage for T, Travel plans have to be made. Etc.
  • Resources - Not people - Gear. Bike tires, tri shorts, shoes, cycling shoes, pedals, goggles, gatorade, Clif Bars, etc.

I can go on and on. I'm a PMP and a geek.

I've been thinking about publishing a weekly post on applying project management principles to everyday life - especially triathlon life. Maybe I should move ahead with this. It would help me keep my head on straight - and maybe I'll learn something in the process.

Ok - the plan says it's time to go to work.

Just kidding - kind of. :-)

1 Comments:

Blogger :) said...

Sounds like something that would be useful to all of us!!!

Go for it!

1/13/2006 10:22:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home