1.07.2006

Tri-turday

*Grin*

I went tri-shopping today.

*Grin*

Well, OK. I did a kick'n brick tri-training session first thing. I got in just under 20 miles (Bike/run). It was great tri-weather and it felt wonderful to be out and about. My only complaint was the Cedar Pollen. It was off the charts and inhaling it deeply for 20 miles makes for a long day with my allergies.

After T had lunch and a nap, we gathered up some duplicate Christmas gifts and headed out for a day of tri-shopping. First stop : Runtex. I some Christmas returns to make and decided the best purchase right now would be new running shoes. I've had Saucony Grid Trigon running shoes for the last 6 months and managed to put a little over 275 miles on them. Looking forward - I need to get some new ones and break them in before the races start up.

Runtex is a great shop - any of you non-Austinites should keep this place in mind if you're ever in town. I started out buying another pair of Trigon's, but after I filled in my shoe person on the plan this season, she suggested I upgrade to the 3D Grid Triumph. These are little more supportive and will last longer - but they're a little more expensive. They offered me a 10% discount if I turn in my old shoes - which I plan to do on Monday. After the returns and discount I got a great pair of shoes for an awesome price!!


So, farewell old running shoes. You've been awesome. Monday, I have a date with the new shoes and the open road.



Stop #2: Bicycle Sport Shop. Items: More shoes and some bike pedals. I found a great pair of carbon soled cycling shoes. A little pricey, but very nice. There was another pair, same brand - Specialized, for about half the price with just about the same features - without the carbon sole. I have no idea how important a carbon sole is to an age-grouper like me. But I decided to wait a little longer to purchase. Any help out there? Flatman, you got an "in" somewhere on a great pair of cycling shoes??

I haven't decided on pedals yet - I found a good pair of entry level Shimano pedals that will work nicely. Any thoughts?

Our final stop was at the grocery store. It was not as fun as our previous stops.

After shoes, my next buy is a wetsuit. I'm thinking I'll head down to Austin Tri-cyclist for some guidance in this area.

*Grin*

Isn't tri-shopping fun?

*Grin*

1 Comments:

Blogger :) said...

Those are some cool shoes, but are you sure you don't want something a little easier to get in and out of? In my experience, those ratchet systems work great, but take some time to put on and take off. If you are looking to shave time off of your transitions, you may want to look into something with one velcro strap and a loop in the back for easy pulling...

What size do you wear and I will keep my eyes open!

1/08/2006 08:08:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home