12.15.2005

Here we go...

Ahhhhh.....

I just finished my short swim of the week - 1500M. Felt great. I was starting to get pretty sore and stiff from the swim on Tuesday. This was a great way to work out all that.

I decided to take it slow today and head to work a little late. I stopped in at the LTF Cafe for some coffee, breakfast and some free wireless internet. It's kind of cool hanging out with a bunch of fit people, drinking coffee, and listening to all the rockin' workout music.

I did another "Trail of Lights - Neighborhood Edition" last night -just under 6 miles. Very nice. I ran through the really nice part of the 'hood. There are some really great houses over there. The MP3 player had 2 episodes of Endurance Radio. Izzy interviewed Dr. JoAnn Dahlkoetter. She's a sports psychologist with some pretty interesting stuff. She talked about using mental toughness to give yourself an edge over competion and difficult training sessions. Everybody knows that demon that starts talking about 6 minutes into the run of a triathlon. Her suggestions are to use some repeatable strength phrases to refocus your mind.

One specific thing I thought was interesting was using your hands to refocus your mind. She recommended thinking about what you do with your hands when you win or finish a big race. Some people pump their fists or reach their arms up in the air. She claims that if you repeat that motion during a particularly tough part of a race or workout, you can actually pull yourself into a better place mentally.

A little nugget we can all use.

So, I'm pretty much done training this week. We have a 5K on Saturday - then I'll try to get a ride i on Sunday before the weather turns cold and rainy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home