12.14.2005

Lawn Art

Ok - so when I got home last night we gobbled down some pasta (M made a great bowl of pasta - MMM!), dropped T into the stroller and took off around the block to check out some of the Lawn Art I found during my run on Monday. I think Clark W. Griswold would even be embarrassed by some of the crazy stuff we've seen. Generally, I am extremely happy with the neighborhood - as I have written about many times. But, well, with a few weeks of lights to go - it's time to "out" the crazy decorations in our 'hood. (BTW, checkout this website if you have a few minutes. My favorite is this one.)

Dave Barry has a great blog entry on all the crazy Lawn Art out there for the holidays. I was particularly amused by some of the stories of those crazy blow-up lawn figures which seem to break free and get into strange positions. A few years back, when the Blow-Ups were just making it to the scene, the folks down the street put up this giant snowman holding a candy cane in the air. The thing was downright scary! Every time the wind blew it looked like some deranged snowman was try to kill you with giant candy.

Blow-up Snowglobes are huge around here this year. And, while they looked great in Sears, they seem to lose some of the luster out on the front lawn. We walked by one house with at least 5 blow-up figures on the lawn. Not only did it sound like a vacuum cleaner store, but it looked like he had hired the SWAT Team from Santa's workshop to guard his house! We rounded the corner and -- MAN DOWN! One of the guards had deflated and taken a strand of lights with him. Poor little guy.

There's another house across the 'hood which is going for size. They have 3-20 foot Blow-ups in their front yard. I think they actually had to move the house back to get them all to fit. Just to be safe I crossed to the other side of the road when running past that house. Who knows what might happen if one of those blowers goes out??

And finally, the culdesac. This place is obviously where all holiday decorations go to die. These folks decorate their house for every single holiday of the year. Christmas is obviously the peak decorating season. Ok. Just to give you a mental image. The first time we walked by I turned to M and whispered - "It looks like Christmas threw up on their front lawn." They have just about every aspect covered - Santa (more than once), reindeer, snowmen, wrapped trees, manger scene, angels, bows, garland, net lights, flood lights, lighted deer, lighted candy, stars, 3 wise men, "Santa Stops Here", and on and on.

Very entertaining!

"'Tis the season to be Merry"
"Well, that's my name"
"No sh........?"

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay this has to be one of my favorite blogs you have done. I love the quote from Christmas Vacation...I'm telling you, you need to write a column. You are that good!!!
-M

12/15/2005 05:56:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home