11.14.2005

The sprint to the starting line...

Mondays suck. We still haven’t recovered from the big party weekend and now it’s almost Tuesday! Whew! The mountain of chores was so overwhelming I took off for a 3- mile run tonight after T-man went down for bed. It was very therapeutic. The only gadget I took with me today was my HRM. No MP3 player on this run. Just me, my shoes, and the road. I needed some time to clear my head and get a plan worked out to get through the week.

It was a really weird run. At 6:45 PM the temperature was around 74*, a warm breeze was blowing and I could hear the bugs singing in the trees. I ran by a swimming pool full of kids, lots of folks out milling around their houses, lots of fellow exercisers. The full moon was out so I had plenty of light. At the end I was drenched in sweat. It is fall, right? There’s only like a week till Thanksgiving, right? For a long while I began to wonder if the last few months had been a long dream sequence and it was really still the middle of summer.

Then, I rounded the far end of my route and caught a glimpse of something that brought me back. A brightly lit tree was visible through the front window of a house. Yes, some folks already have begun the Christmas decorating. It is fall after all.

M and I have been trying so hard to push back the Christmas season till next Thursday – Thanksgiving Day. You won’t find a single Christmas item out in our house. It has actually been quite fun – the building of anticipation is really starting to bring out the kid in both of us. I think that’s exactly how it is supposed to be - especially with the little guy running around. What difference from our sleep deprived time last year!

We have a full day planned for Thanksgiving. We’ll be up early to travel down to Waterloo Park for the Turkey Trot. The in-laws will be in town and I’m planning to run the 5 miles with Amers. The rest of the clan is going to do the 1 mile walk. Afterward, we’ll head back home for the big dinner. We ordered a bird from Rudy’s. It’ll be a Texas style Thanksgiving!


Of course, after dinner, we’ll join the rest of the nation in a long afternoon nap in front of an NFL game that nobody cares about. Our dreams will be laced with Maddenisms as I’m sure John Madden will be jabbering away with his six legged turkey behind the wheel of his cruiser.

Finally, I plan to go kung fu on the house - Christmas Style. The tree goes up, decorations come out and I'll hit play on a stack of Christmas music. And, following an improvised drum roll by the family in the front yard, the exterior lighting ceremony will kick off the Christmas season.

Fa La La La La
La La La La.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Clark, it's beautiful!

11/15/2005 08:26:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home