11.07.2005

A glimpse

The bright lights hit my eyes before my ears could identify the engine roar. The Crazy Newpaper Man in his Red Beast Truck came roaring down the road toward me this morning. I haven't seen the Crazy Newspaper Man in a couple of weeks - even though I have a pretty steady schedule of running on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. In what seemed like only 4 steps he was close enough that I could make out the orange glow of his morning cigarette. He steered the Red Beast directly at me. I quickly jumped from the street to the sidewalk. Then it started - "Slap! Slap! Slap!" - Three news papers hit the sidewalk. 2 in front of me one on the other side of the road. I heard the squeal of the Red Beast's brakes as I ran up next to it. He was stopped as I ran past. I gave a quick look into the dimly lit cab of the truck and quickly took inventory: Stacks of neatly rubberbanded newspapers filled the passenger seat and back seat of the truck, a pack of smokes lay on the dash. The Crazy Newspaper Man was distracted reloading one hand with another newpaper the other holding a cup of coffee. His head was slightly dipped and the truckers cap cast a shadow over his face.

"Missed me again - sucker!!" I screamed at him from inside my head.

Triathlon Training can be so dangerous in the suburban jungle!

2 Comments:

Blogger :) said...

Pretty funny, Bro!

I almost got ran over on my 18 miler on Saturday. At mile 17, I hardly had the energy to hop up on the curb to get out of the way...

11/07/2005 11:25:00 AM  
Blogger Phil said...

Nice one.

....and welcome to Blogger.

11/08/2005 08:46:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home