3.28.2006

Caught Speeding

Things have been out of control for the last 48 hours. Let's recap.

Monday. 'Nuff said. Ok, well, actually Monday moved at a downright frenetic pace. It was 2 PM before I actually made it through all my E-mail. Work is still crazy - full time client + presentation prep + website coordination / development + part time client = EEEK!
I left work around 3:30 to run a few quick errands and get in 3000M in the lap pool at LTF. The pace of the day carried forward into the pool : 1:49/100M average pace -- for 3000M!!! I did a 300 warm up, 5 x 500 and 200 cool down. Probably one of the strongest days I have had in the pool. Looks like the long sets on Thursdays are starting to pay dividends.

Afterward, I quickly got dressed and headed back downtown for a dinner meeting with the visiting big wigs. Stayed out late. Came home to a full house. My Mom and Grandmother arrived on an afternoon flight. M picked them up and they were already moved in and settled by the time I arrived home. After spending some time catching up and doing a couple of household chores, it was close to 10:30 PM. I finally climbed into bed around 11 and fell asleep while catching up on e-mail.

Tuesday. T was awake by 5:30. So, the day started off like a shot with diapers and cheerios flying around. Luckily Grandma and Granny were there to provide some early morning entertainment. The weather here was terrible. It took me 2.5 hours to drive 14 miles. That's when I felt it. I caught myself speeding. Something had finally gotten in the way and I was no longer able to keep up with the pace that I was trying to keep. I no longer had control of the situation. And. it. was. killing. me. I was so pissed at traffic I was actually making up new swear words.

I pulled into office #1 at around 9:30ish and was off to office #2 by 10:30. Made it to office #2 just in time to open my e-mail box before the 20th unread message arrived. Just. in. time. A couple of meetings on the docket today and I'll be off to fight my way home through the evening traffic jam - they're predicting more rush hour storms. Perfect. I have an hour of running on the plan for tonight. Looks like I'll have to get it in after some family time. So help me, I'll run through a damn thunderstorm tonight just to get in some decompression time in my running shoes.

I'm a bit concerned for my bike time this week. I have no desire to take my ride out in the rain. I don't have the gear or skill to be tooling around for an hour on wet streets and stormy weather with drivers that have just sat through a 2-hour commute. M, my official sponsor, gave me the green light on a trainer. Flatman gave me a few web leads, but I might just have to break down and pick one up at the LBS in the interest of time. I got a note today from Bicycle Sport Shop that their annual sale starts on Friday. Can I make it that long without a trainer? We shall see.

See ya out there...

2 Comments:

Blogger Phil said...

Congrats, 1:49/100m is pretty fast, especially over 3000m.

3/28/2006 12:31:00 PM  
Blogger TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

Great swim Ian Thorpe! :-)Austin traffic is HORRIBLE even in the slightest of drizzle!! ugghhhh

3/30/2006 05:52:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home