7.11.2006

Forgotten Items

I have to know if this happens to anyone else...

It's 9 PM. The kids are finally asleep, the house is picked up (again), the kitchen is cleaned, and you've just finished putting away your cycling shoes and helmet from a quick evening ride. You glance at your training schedule. A 30 minute swim awaits you in the morning. For a split second you contemplate rearranging your schedule for the entire rest of the week in the interest of catching an extra hour of sleep in the morning.

"Well," you tell yourself, "it's time to get packed for tomorrow."

It's now close to 9:15 and you realize you will be leaving for the entire day at 4:30 - just 7 short hours away. You roll through the mental rolodex to the "Swim Checklist". Shoes, Socks, Pants, Shirt, trunks, goggles, water bottle, protein bar, toothpaste, gel, wallet, keys, etc. Then the "Work day" checklist - Laptop, paperwork, lunch, schedule, ID, etc.

You fire up the iron and start ironing clothes for tomorrow - today's clothes are still in a pile at your feet along with your cycling jersey from the ride that ended just a few short hours ago.

"Do I have everything?"

"Oh yeah - my ID for the club. Don't leave home without it." - Snicker to yourself

Another pass through the mental checklist.

And Another.

Something is missing...

After 4 more passes you have sufficiently convinced yourself that you have everything.

It's now 10 PM. Everything is set up for a quick transition from sleeping to swimming in the morning. Now it's time to get a few work details tied up then off to bed.

4:30 AM - Sleep to Swim transition - 40 seconds.

Wait. I'm forgetting something.

You go through the checklists again. Nope all set.

Nice early morning swim - the day is already off to a great start. The pool was so cold you doubt your ability to have any more children.

You head to the locker room for a quick shower and transition for Swim to Work.

The locker opens and...

Crap.

I forgot my belt.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not all THAT concerned with my appearance. Matching socks is a good fashion day for me. But seriously, now I look like a fifth grader wandering the halls at school looking for my other gym shoe.

*Sigh*

Does this stuff happen to anybody else?

See ya out there...

5 Comments:

Blogger :) said...

all. the. time.

7/11/2006 09:25:00 AM  
Blogger TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

Great post!! I often forget about the multiple transitions we endure throughout the day. I feel like I live my life out of a freaking gym bag!

7/11/2006 12:33:00 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Ugh! I *hate* forgetting my belt! Then you're left to either leave your shirt untucked which is a very sloppy feeling or tucking in sans belt which just looks dumb. I totally feel your pain!

7/11/2006 12:53:00 PM  
Blogger Trisaratops said...

I'm so spoiled that I have time to change at home before work! I'm so forgetful that I'm sure I'd forget something every single day if I had to pack it the night before.

7/11/2006 04:57:00 PM  
Blogger TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

Oh yeah. Despite all of the checklists I make, both mental and on paper, I've been known to leave something back at home.

If somebody at the office gives you grief about your missing belt just say something like, "Yeah, I know my britches are falling down but I'm a triathlete and you're not, so get off of my back." Oh, be sure your zipper is up when you talk smack. It kind of ruins your credibility if it's not. Not that I'm talking from experience or anything. ;-)

Stay tuned...

7/13/2006 04:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home