6.28.2006

BSLT 2006 : Swim and Bike

Part 2 of my race recap. But first, a few Bonus Links:
The swim began with the normal bumping, pushing, splashing, etc. The course started in a small cove then opened up into a wider section of the lake. This made for some congestion, but I came through OK. I had made a conservative decision to stay near the back, knowing that I would spend most of the trip to the first buoy moving through traffic. Honestly, I did this out of respect for the folks with larger dreams than mine. There was no reason for me to go head-to-head with some Kona-bound Iron-kid. My big picture goals didn't call for that.

100_3150


By the first buoy, I was already starting to see different colored swim caps. I cut the turn close in and swung wide to the outside. I sighted the farthest buoy I could find, set a direct course and dug in. The back side of the course felt very long and straight - I tried to use the open water to move out ahead of the pack from the previous wave. The last turn came up and I could see the swim finish in the distance. At this point I felt really strong and I went into full sprint mode. Suddenly I found myself standing on the other side of the swim finish mat pulling my wetsuit down.

IMG_0431


The swim exit is always so disorienting. After spending nearly a half-hour on my belly listening to only bubbles and splashing it always surprises me to see 35 - 40 people yelling and running in every direction. I made my way over to my bike at the far end of transition. I tried to slow myself down mentally as to not forget anything. Forgotten nutrition at this stage would be race ending for me.

IMG_0432


The next thing I know I am bombing down the first hill. I checked my watch - 41.XX. Holy crap - I was planning to be in transition at 40.XX not on the bike! I knew the swim had been fast. Then my mind started to catch up with me - I could hear my family yelling for me as I exited T1 - I even saw my kid in the replay in my mind. Wow! I was already 4 miles into the bike!!

The first 15 miles or so were cake. I settled in and started executing the nutrition plan. Then the hills began. I had skipped driving the course on Saturday because, well, because I'm a wuss. I'm glad I did. I would have been scared as hell if I knew what was waiting for me. I after the first 3 hills I started to get worried about finishing. By hill #4 I pulled out the Granny Gear and took a conservative approach to climbing the rest of the way. I also, apparently, hung a sign on my back that said "Pass me as fast as possible". I spent a good portion of the bike course watching a parade of the some of the finest bike hardware on earth go by. It was beautiful.

I focused in on hydration and nutrition which passed the time. (Mental image: Pedaling up hills while balancing multiple spinning plates in the air.) I did manage to take in some of the scenery along the way. Yes, folks Ransom Canyon was very pretty. I also settled into a pace without about 6 other racers that allowed us to play leap frog through most of the course. One racer I nicknamed "Dragon Lady" because of the giant Dragon Tattoo on her back and Pinkie because of her pink bike.

At mile 40, I was tired. But, we had made it back to the flats and I was relieved. We turned the corner and WHAM. I was hit by a stiff wind that felt like 20 mph sustained. The next 5 miles were brutal. Then we turned and I finally had the wind at my back. I dropped into a low gear pushed up to cruising at about 25 mph. I was finally doing some passing! I lost both Dragon Lady and Pinkie during this flat and never saw them again. I assume they blew by me on the run.

I actually swerved to RUN OVER the 50 mile marker painted on the street. We were only 6 miles and two big hills away. I wanted off the bike in the worst way. We had turned back into the wind, but I knew I would meet two goals: 1) Finish the Bike 2) Average 17 MPH.
Finally the last downhill. I was so happy to see the transition area.

Only 13.1 miles left...

3 Comments:

Blogger :) said...

I've got chills so far....

6/29/2006 08:54:00 AM  
Blogger greyhound said...

LOL! I had that sign too because every crotch rocket on the course seemed to be screaming by me, especially before that second right hand turn for the first canyon. Beeeyooootiful bikes. The splits show that I should have passed some people in my age group, but I have no memory of that ever occuring. All I recall passing was hand cycles and my mother's quilting group.

6/30/2006 08:45:00 AM  
Blogger Phil said...

The run, the run... we need the run man... keep it coming...

Actually, I find one of the most beautiful sounds in the world is the sound a big disk wheel makes as it passes you by.

I just checked out your pics on ASI - they look really good.

7/04/2006 01:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home