12.08.2005

Deep Freeze Update

I writing this from my office. I'm here. On time. Cold weather? Bring it on.

Let's recap the last few hours...

  • Most of Austin is scheduled to open at 10 AM. The temperature at 10 AM is predicted to be 29*. Therefore all the ice will still be on the roads. I decided not to commute with the rest of Austin on icy roads and left at my normal time.
  • M's work has cancelled everything today - she's staying home with Little T today. I'm already charging my cell phone battery. (Just kidding honey!)
  • On the drive in I saw at least (no exaggeration) 30 cars/trucks/SUVs wrecked on the sides of the road. Last night must have been a nightmare. I witnessed 3 wrecks. It would seem that Central Texans believe it is a good idea to get their cars up to 70mph, drive straight at a patch of ice, then slam on the brakes as hard as possible.
  • Lots of ice on the roads - more than I expected to see. I'm glad I got a jump on the rest of the city today. I think 9 - 10 AM is going to be a major nightmare. Hopefully I'll make it out before things refreeze this afternoon.
  • Starbucks is open! I got a large coffee and a scone - a reward for my ace driving abilities today.

This weather is great! It has really put me in the holiday mood. I know all you folks up north hate snow - but I wish we could get a little. That would really make things fun! Well, I'm off to start my day. More later on "Deep Freeze 2005!!!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home